October 22, 2010

The Pursuit of God

After reading this book I understand why it's called a classic. It's not because the author A. W. Tozer was the best writer, but because his love and passion for God are absolutely contagious as you read his words. Every sentence in this book is intriguing and insightful. I wanted to know God more after reading it.

I loved chapter 2 titled, "The Blessedness of possessing nothing" I couldn't pick just one quote from this chapter so here is a link to the chapter as a whole:

http://www.theboc.com/freestuff/awtozer/books/the_pursuit_of_god/bless_possess_nothing.html

The verse he gives at the beginning of this chapter is:


 "Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." Matt. 5:3 

I've always struggled with trying to understand what Jesus meant by this. I think its one of the most misinterpreted verses, especially by those who preach a social gospel. But the Lord, with this chapter and its example of Abraham, is really helping me grasp a better understanding.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )