June 20, 2011

Uncle Tom's Cabin and Mr. Josiah Henson


Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe  is one of those books that left a lasting impression on me. In her novel she weaves a story based on true people who were enduring slavery. After reading this book I had to find out who this Uncle Tom was. I eventually found him...his name was Josiah Henson and he even wrote an autobiography!


Well I didn't waste time finding the book and devouring it. This man was a true hero and I'm glad to say he was not killed in real life like he was in Mrs. Stowe's novel. :) He went on to live a meaningful and blessed filled life.

He escapes to Canada, but continually went back to the States to save others and risked his life in doing so and not only that but preached the gospel as he went, risking his life even further. He found the Lord at a young age as a slave and even though he went through horrific things, he continued to serve the Lord his whole life.


Through his life he has taught me to keep my eyes on the Lord and not my circumstances. He wasn't perfect and admits to mistakes, but his love of God and focus in life on Him are truly inspirational. These are 2  books I wish everyone would read.

Buy Uncle Tom's Cabin HERE on Amazon
Buy Autobiography of Josiah Henson HERE on Amazon


2 comments:

  1. Hey Cathy. I featured you on my blog today via "tagging" for a fun post. I'm tagging you but don't feel any pressure, it's just for fun. If you want to go to my blog to find out what to do. http://candysfavorites.blogspot.com/2011/06/tag-im-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Candy, sounds like fun. Thanks for tagging me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )