I recently read an article written by Grace Driscoll on what a Godly female friend looks like. It had some great insights and wisdom and so I thought I'd share her 5 signs of a healthy, godly female friend here:
1. She will help you grow in your relationship with Christ. If she doesn’t, then you need to make sure you are strong enough to be a witness instead staying stagnant with Jesus. If you aren’t strong enough, then you need to have boundaries or be willing to give up the relationship so that you keep Jesus the priority.
2. She will serve you, and you will serve her. If this is one-sided then you will get taken advantage of or be using her. Friendship isn’t always “even,” but there needs to be mutual serving. If there isn’t, you can kindly confront the issue, and her response will tell you if the friendship is healthy.
3. If you are married, your husband will see her as an asset rather than a hindrance in your marriage. As women, it can tend to be easier for us to be friends with other women than it is with our husband. We more readily share vulnerably with women, confess sin with women, or ask for counsel from women. If our conversations with other women spark division in our marriage it is not godly.
4. When conflict arises or counsel needs to be given, she is willing to both listen and speak into the issue. It is important that both women are teachable or else reconciliation is difficult.
5. As important as healthy friendships are, it is also important to hold them with an “open hand” so that the women don’t become idols whom you worship. She should be someone you enjoy, learn from, and invest in but not someone you put on a pedestal.
"A true friend is one who is walking in, when everyone else is walking out.” – Martin Luther