December 29, 2012

10 Great Reads of 2012

This year my goal was to read 75 books. I didn't quite make it but I was able to read more books then last years 61 with 65 books.  : )


If you are a reader of my blog you know I had difficulties with reading and comprehension as a child and I'm still amazed at how far God has brought me in this aspect of my life.  Even though I was never diagnosed as dyslexic, I struggled with reading and spelling and was often made fun of for not pronouncing words properly. (I still to this day check and double check and triple check my spelling!)

I recently read this post from Mark Hall on the Casting Crowns Facebook page and it really encouraged me, so I thought I'd share it here:

"Dealing with dyslexia and ADD keeps me dependent on God. Keeps my knees on the ground and my head on straight.
"God uses the weak things of the world to shame the strong and the foolish things of the world to shame the wise. "
"We have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all surpassing power is from God and not from us."
Instead of left brained, I'm right brained. Instead of organized and calculating, I'm a dreamer who can multitask.
Dyslexia is not a learning disability. It's a learning difference.
God knows what he's doing.
Romans 12

Love you guys,
Mark
"


No matter what difficulty you face in this life God can use it for good. Like Mark says, 'God knows what He's doing.' : )

Here are my favorites I read this past year in no particular order.


5 GREAT NON-FICTION READS:


Knowing God - For My Thoughts Click HERE


I started this book in 2011 but didn't finish it until 2012 so I've included it here. This was a hard one to get through but so worth it. It's definitely one of my favorites now. :)


Grace for the Good Girl - For My Thoughts Click HERE


This book was a little slow at the beginning but went on to be a very profound book for me.


Handle with Prayer - For My Thoughts Click HERE


Great insights into prayer and how God always hears us and answers, just not always the way we expect.


The Titanic's Last Hero - For My Thoughts Click HERE

Amazing memoir of pastor John Harper who boarded the titanic. Filled with testimonies and tributes and originally published in Scotland in 1912.




Lit! A Christian Guide to Reading- For My Thoughts Click HERE


Some great Biblical insights into what and how Christians should read.








  


5 GREAT FICTION READS:


In His Steps - For My Thoughts Click HERE

A very inspirational classic with a challenge for all believers.












The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott - For My Thoughts Click  HERE


Beautifully written novel based on Louisa May Alcott, author of 'Little Women.' 








Heiress - For My Thoughts Click HERE


A beautiful story of redemption for women searching to be loved.



The Reunion - For My Thoughts Click HERE


I have to admit I've never cried this much reading a book. Such a heart-warming story.










Great Expectations

I haven't written anything on this book as of now, but wanted to include it in my great 2012 reads list because I really loved it! I've been reading a book on Dickens called 'God and Charles Dickens' by Gary L. Colledge and finding it so interesting how Dickens wrote his beliefs into his books. He was a great supporter of the poor and incorporated at least one character in each of his books which represented Christ and His kindness and unconditional love towards us. This book is no exception and in Great Expectations, Biddy is that character. :)


12 comments:

  1. I just found your link on my goodreads page...so nice to connect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. I love the quote you added, I struggled too, with the same problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I read Mark's quote I just had to share it. :) God works good things through our weaknesses!

      Delete
  3. Oh, Cathy, I just want to reach into my computer screen and grab these books right now, lol. I think "Grace For the Good Girl" is going on my wishlist, along with "The Reunion". Glad to know "Heiress" is good, I have that in my TBR stack, but other books have kept grabbing my attention. I'll have to move it on up! Wasn't Charles Dickens just a master of a writer? I love that he so skillfully wove his faith into his works. "A Tale of Two Cities" is one of my favs. I read "Great Expectations" in high school, but don't remember much of the plot. I'll have to fix that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like 'Grace for the good girl.' I got 'graceful' by the same author, for my daughter this Christmas and I may sneak a peak at that one too. :)
      Happy Reading!

      Delete
  4. I am a new follower who found you on Cozy Book Hop. I have jotted down several of your titles to add to my 2013 reading list, which I hope to post in the next few days. I'm also on Goodreads and will try to find and connect with you on there. I am especially interested in Lit!

    Keri
    http://www.growinginhisglory.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed Lit! I hope you do too.

      I'll make sure to stop by for your 2013 reading list. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  5. I love hearing your thoughts on books! I'm so glad you shared this with Cozy Book Hop, can't wait to see what you have in store for 2013

    Marissa
    http://forfunreadinglist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Marissa! :)

      Happy new year!

      Delete
  6. Congrats on almost reaching your goal. 65 is a lot of books!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )