January 28, 2013

Be Still My Soul

A beautifully written story set in the luscious Appalachian hills. Just look at that cover! Wouldn't it be lovely to spend an afternoon picnicking there? :)

I loved the well developed characters in this book.

Lonnie and Gideon are forced into a marriage neither wants. Here they have to learn, together, that love is not just a feeling but a commitment to serve one another not only through good times, but hard times as well.

An innocent kiss is taken out of proportion and Lonnie's father insists on a marriage. Lonnie, young at 17, but mature for her age, Gideon self-centered and looking out for number one.

I felt their journey to love was written realistically and beautifully. Neither being portrayed as perfect but learning as they go, to love and forgive.

Once they set out to start their life together they come across a wonderful older couple who take them in. I loved these two characters as well. Jebediah, stern but loving and his wife, Elsie who is caring and compassionate. I love when God brings these kinds of people into our lives right when we need them.

There are a few nasty characters as well, who land Gideon in some trouble, which makes him think long and hard about the consequences.

In the readers guide, the author Joanne Bischop, says her series is based on 1Peter 5:10:

"But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, established, strengthen, and settle you." 

What great promises!

From the little bit of interaction I've had with Joanne through our blogs, I have to say she has a very sweet and gentle spirit. Reading her book, I really felt her writing reflected this.

Beautiful first novel Joanne!

I am really looking forward to reading the next installment in this series, 'Though my Heart is Torn' and seeing these characters grow. We spend our whole lives learning and growing as we seek the Lord and that's how I felt about these characters, even sweet Lonnie.

Book two comes out in April. : )








Buy it HERE at Amazon


1 comment:

  1. I have nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award!
    http://bluegrassbirdie.blogspot.com/2013/01/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )