January 9, 2013

If: What do I know of Calvary Love? and my One Word

I think this is the shortest book I've ever read, yet the most powerful.

Amy Carmichael writes about many if's. If's that show us what love is and how we often lack it.

In the last few weeks, I've read this book over several times and it's given me a new idea for my blog.

Instead of sporadic quote's of the week, I thought I'd share an if each week from the book. So every Friday you can join me where I'll share a new if to ponder.

Here's the first:

If...I have not compassion on my
                 fellow-servant,
           even as my Lord had pity on me,
then I know nothing of Calvary love.

I have chosen the word Love as my 'One Word' this year. (See note below)

I think I have only scratched the surface of God's love for us and I want to learn more of it, receive more of it and be able to give more of it.

Amy writes:

"The more we ponder our Lord's words about love, and the burning words the Spirit gave to His followers to write, the more acutely do we feel our deadly lack. The Searchlight of the Spirit exposes us to ourselves, and such a discovery leaves us appalled. How can even He who is the God of all patience have patience with us? Like Job we abhor ourselves and repent in dust and ashes."

She goes on to tell us we need not beg God for His love, He gives it willingly:

"There is no need to plead that the love of God shall fill our heart as though He were unwilling to fill us: He is willing as light is willing to flood a room that is opened to its brightness; willing as water is willing to flow into an emptied channel. Love is pressing around us on all sides like air. cease to resist, and instantly love takes possession."

Amy also reminds us:

"The way of love is never an easy way. If our hearts be set on walking in that way we must be prepared to suffer. It was the way the Master went; should not the servant tread it still?"

She closes the book with this beautiful prayer of the Lord:

"'Trust Me, My child,' He says. 'Trust Me with a humbler heart and a fuller abandon to My will than ever thou didst before. Trust Me to pour My love through thee, as minute succeeds minute. And if thou shouldst be conscious of anything hindering the flow, do not hurt My love by going away from Me in discouragement, for nothing can hurt love so much as that. Draw all the closer to Me; come, flee unto Me to hide thee, even from thyself. Tell Me about the trouble. Trust Me to turn My hand upon thee and thoroughly to remove the boulder that has choked thy riverbed, and take away all the sand that has silted up the channel. I will not leave thee until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of. I will perfect that which concerneth thee. Fear thou not, O child of My love; fear not.

...to gather all in one page;

Beloved, let us love.

Lord, what is love?

Love is that which inspired My life, and led Me to My cross, and held Me on My cross. Love is that which will make it thy joy to lay down thy life for thy brethren.

Lord, evermore give me this love.

Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after love, for they shall be filled.

Amen, Lord Jesus.

Note: I would like to thank Melaine over at Only a Breath for making the beautiful 'One Word' button for my blog. Thank-you Melanie! Feel free to stop by her blog and request your own button. : )

10 comments:

  1. I love Amy Carmichael and her thoughts on calvary love always convict and then point me to Christ. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way. Each 'If' pointed to the One who is love.

      Delete
  2. I hopped over here from Tracy at Winsome Wednesdays. I'm so glad I did. What a great message for me to hear today. I especially enjoyed Amy's prayer. Oh, how that spoke to my heart...

    Thanks for sharing, Cathy.

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Amy's prayer too! Especially the promise at the end. :)

      Delete
  3. oh, how amy's words move my soul... thank you so much for sharing cathy. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Trust Me to turn My hand upon thee and thoroughly to remove the boulder that has choked thy riverbed, and take away all the sand that has silted up the channel..."
    This, right here, this promise of removing that which has kept the flow of life and creativity and love, it covers me with grace and joy. To draw near to Him is to be pulled further into His love and that gives me so much hope.
    Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I need to read some Amy Carmichael. Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Emily, Holly and Keri, glad you stopped by and were blessed by Amy's words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay- happy to find someone else who is choosing Love this year! My word is inLove- I want to fall in love with Him, live in love with others and abide in Him who is Love. Blessings on your year of Love. And thanks for the Amy Carmichael reminder- this book is sitting on my shelf and needs to be part of my year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly - thanks for stopping by, nice to hear of someone else with the word Love for this year!
      Hope you get a chance to read Amy's book soon, its really wonderful. :)

      Delete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )