January 7, 2013

The Sunshine Award

It's the beginning of a new year and I'm looking forward to reading more great books and writing about them. 

Hope you all had a blessed Christmas and New Years holiday.


Back in December, Faye over at...  labor not in vain  nominated my blog for the sunshine award. Thank-you Faye! So I thought I'd start the year off with answering her questions and sharing a bit of myself with you. 


Here are the rules:

1. Answer the 8 questions the person who awarded you asked

2. Nominate 8 new people and notify them on their blog

3. Ask 8 new questions (or reuse the ones you were asked) for your nominees to answer

HERE ARE THE QUESTIONS FAYE ASKED:

What is your favorite genre to read?

I love history, autobiographies, biographies, memoirs and theology, but I have to say I enjoy historical fiction the most. I love being taken to another time and place where I can learn a little history, maybe a little theology and even a little piece of the author's life and personality. : )



What fictional place would you most like to live?

Not district 12  ; ) ...seriously though this is a hard one. Most of the books I read are set in real places. So I'll pick a real place from a book. I loved how Denise Hunter describes Nantucket in her Nantucket series. I think that would be a pretty place to live.


What is another pastime that you enjoy, besides reading?

I love gardening. I love digging my hands into the dirt and then watching something grow into something beautiful. I always feel closer to God in the garden. 



What time period would you most like to live during?

I recently saw a movie called 'Midnight in Paris' which was about a man who wished he lived in the golden age of 1920's Paris. One night, at midnight, he gets transported there and mets a woman who he finds out wishes she lives in 1890's Paris! 
One of the themes I got from this movie was that no matter what time period we live in we will always long for another, thinking its better then the one we live in, when in reality we are exactly were we are meant to be. God has a plan. 


What books are you most looking forward to in 2013?

In fiction I'm really looking forward to Julie Klassen's, 'The Tutor's Daughter' and Siri Mitchell's 'Unrivaled.' I'm also looking forward to reading some classics this year. I'd like to get to 'Ruth' by Elizabeth Gaskell and 'Far from the Madding Crowd' by Thomas Hardy. In non-fiction I'd like to get to a book my mom lent me called  'Elizabeth the Queen: The Life of a Modern Monarch' by Sally Bedell Smith and also A.W. Tozer's 'The Knowledge of the Holy.' I have so many books on the TBR pile, only the new year will tell what I get too.


If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would it be? Why?

I've answered this question before with England, so I'll pick somewhere else this time. I would love to visit France. There is so many places I'd love to visit there, Monet's Garden, The Palace of Versailles, Paris, and all the beautiful landscapes.


What TV shows do you wish were still on the air?

Ok, don't laugh, but I'd have to say I really miss Live! with Regis and Kathie-Lee. I started watching the show when I was pregnant with my first baby. I was extremely ill and knowing Kathie-Lee (who was pregnant with her first child as well) and Regis would be talking 'baby talk' got me up in the mornings. They made me laugh. And I enjoyed their banter.


What is more addictive, Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, or Pinterest?

I'd have to say Goodreads. I love being able to organize what I've read, what I want to read and what I'm reading. I also love seeing what others are reading and what they think of the books they have read.


Here are the links to my pages, feel free to add me... : )
   
Goodreads  
Pinterest 
Facebook  
Twitter 



A FEW BLOGS THAT HELP BRIGHTEN MY DAY (MY NOMINEES):

Emily demonstrates grace at her blog. I love her honesty and how she shares her heart. And I love the name of her blog... imperfect prose

Michelle's blog is warm and heartfelt. I love her book reviews and how she shares from the heart... Sweet Treats and Inspiration

Tara has such a beautiful heart-felt blog which she honors the Lord through... The Proverbs 31 Sanctuary

Denise has such a gentle spirit. She has been suffering lately, but always shares praise to God. I find her blog so encouraging... Shorty Bears Place

Mary-Lu has the most thought-provoking topics on her blog! Love it... Cross and Cutlass

Marissa has a wonderful book blog and I really enjoy participating in the Thursday book blog link-up... Reading List

Jen's blog is so poetic and I enjoy reading her beautiful posts... Rich Faith Rising

Carolyn has the most gorgeous home and garden and shares lots of photos on her lovely blog... Aiken House & Garden

(If you are one of my nominees feel free to participate and use the same 8 questions that I answered.)

Happy Reading!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks Cathy for the nomination! I'm honored!

    Marissa
    http://forfunreadinglist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent answers! I loved getting to know you a little better, Cathy!

    Thanks for accepting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Cathy :) I enjoyed reading that. Tara.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your award. I LOVE it that you put pictures in between the questions and answers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cathy,
    Thank you so much for the kind words and the link to my blog.I enjoyed reading your answers.I would love to go to Monet's garden also.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks again Cathy - if you are interested here's my acceptance post...
    http://forfunreadinglist.blogspot.com/2013/02/sunshine-break.html

    Marissa

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )