November 4, 2013

C.S. Lewis and the Glory of God




I just finished C.S. Lewis's book The Weight of Glory  and found some great insights in his chapter entitled Learning in War-Time.

At one point he talks about one's life before and after becoming a Christian.

He states here:

"Before I became a Christian I do not think I fully realized that one's life, after conversion, would inevitably consist in doing most of the same things one had been doing before, one hopes, in a new spirit, but still the same things."

"Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."  1 Cor. 10:31

After thinking about this for awhile I realized how true this is. We still go to work, whether it's in the home or in the workplace, we still take care of the needs of our families, and we still have to sleep for rest, eat to survive and grow in learning. But when you give your life over to the Lord it becomes a joy to do these things for His glory.

Lewis says here:

"All our merely natural activities will be accepted, if they are offered to God, even the humblest, and all of them, even the noblest, will be sinful if they are not."

And later he continues:

"Let us clear it forever from our minds. The work of a Beethoven and the work of a charwoman become spiritual on precisely the same condition, that of being offered to God, of being done humbly 'as to the Lord.'"

"Therefore receive one another, just as Christ also received us, to the glory of God."  Rom. 15:7


All three of my children, like many young people today, wonder what God wants them to do with their lives. We each have talents that lead us to our vocation, or jobs, but what God wants from us is not so much what we do, but that we do it to His glory.

Lewis says here:

"We are members of one body, but differentiated members, each with his own vocation."

"For in fact the body is not one member but many."  1 Cor. 12:14

Later Lewis talks about leaving the future in God's hands and living to glorify Him, not our work:

"A more Christian attitude, which can be attained at any age, is that of leaving futurity in God's hands..

Never, in peace or war, commit your virtue or your happiness to the future. Happy work is best done by the man who takes his long-term plans somewhat lightly and works from moment to moment 'as to the Lord.' It is only our daily bread that we are encouraged to ask for. The present is the only time in which any duty can be done or any grace received."

"Give us this day our daily bread."  Matt. 6:11

This is one of the reasons I love C.S. Lewis.

He, being one of the most admired intellectuals of our time, still, can speak to the heart of a simple housewife and mother like me. This attitude of equality among all Christians and the bringing of glory to God as one body, is really a wonderful message we need to often be reminded of.


*Here's a little extra reminder by Steven Curtis Chapman to do all you do for the glory of God. : )




Buy it HERE on Amazon





29 comments:

  1. Dear Cathy
    I would love to read this book being a C.S. Lewis fan. These quotes you have highlighted remind me very much of A.W.Tozer's book, In Pursuit Of God. He states that with children of God there is nothing secular opposed to the sacred. Even the most mundane tasks we share with the animal kingdom, like eating, drinking and sleeping, becomes holy when we do it for Pappa's glory. The whole world becomes our sanctuary with our Father being delighted with the most insignificant act we do out of our love for Him.
    Blessings XX
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a blessing to have you come by and comment Mia!

      It's so nice to know even jobs like scrubbing toilets or sweeping the kitchen floor for the hundredth time is meaningful to Him if we give Him the glory in doing it. And that He delights in our attitude of praise. I have to remember that next time I'm cleaning! : )

      Delete
  2. I got a lot of encouragement from this post, and from Mia's comment. Thank you for sharing these insights from both Lewis and the Lord!
    (Visiting from SDG)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I could share, especially from Lewis, one of my favorite people. : )

      Thanks for stopping by Janice!

      Delete
  3. He is pretty amazing with his insights. There is such a release of pressure to succeed and climb to the top when I really believe that God wants me to work for His glory in the here and now and let Him take care of my future. Beautiful post! Love, Rachael @ Inking the Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does take the stress off. It's a habit I need to get into, since I do tend to stress out sometimes. : )

      Thanks for visiting Rachael!

      Delete
  4. I've come across your blog via SDG linkup, and I'm very impressed and happy! I love that you blog mainly about the books you are reading/have read, and give us information and opinion, while showing a little of who you are! You've been "Bookmarked"!

    Margo @ Legacy of a Single Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margo, I appreciate your kind words. Thanks for stopping by! : )

      Delete
  5. I'm glad to have found your blog.
    "This is one of the reasons I love C.S. Lewis.
    He, being one of the most admired intellectuals of our time, still, can speak to the heart of a simple housewife and mother like me." Lewis is a favorite of mine, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are here! Thanks for stopping by Constance! : )

      Delete
  6. C.S. Lewis's wisdome and eloquence never cease to amaze me. I particularly like this one you included: "Let us clear it forever from our minds. The work of a Beethoven and the work of a charwoman become spiritual on precisely the same condition, that of being offered to God, of being done humbly 'as to the Lord.'" Thanks for sharing - my day is more beautiful because of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to hear this brighten your day. Thanks for stopping by! : )

      Delete
  7. Hi Cathy! Thank you for your visit today, it's so nice to meet other like-minded bloggers!

    CS Lewis hit it so right when he said that faith doesn't change what we do, but the intention of how we do it. Love that! Any work can be salvation work when we do it with him in mind. Actually, I wrote a post with that idea in it. People get so frustrated that they are not glorifying God in their in work, but it's just a mind-shift away!

    Wednesday Blessings!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by and commenting here Ceil. Have a great day! : )

      Delete
  8. Cathy,
    I am following you from Wisdom Wednesdays. Excellent post on living for Jesus - in whatever we do. I encourage you to link SundayStillness on www.janiscox.com
    Blessings,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janis! I've added your blog hop button to my blog hop page and I'll come by on Sunday and link up! : )

      Delete
  9. This book sounds wonderful! And I love this song by SCC.

    Thank you for linking up with Woman to Woman's Word Filled Wednesday. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a great song? Love Stephen Curtis Chapman. : )
      Thanks for coming by Jennifer.

      Delete
  10. True satisfaction in life comes when we realize we were created to bring glory to The Lord. Whatever we do... Doing it to please him. In all we do... Do it as unto The Lord! Great post. So glad you came to visit my blog. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am following sling with you too. I hope you will follow along with ne too. Love meeting other believers of Christ. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and visiting Patty. God bless. : )

      Delete
  12. Thanks for sharing these thoughts about C.S. Lewis. I have read only a few of his books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love his books! Thanks for stopping by Judith. : )

      Delete
  13. Cathy, I am here via Spiritual Sundays. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and the excerpts from C.S. Lewis' book. This is a reoccurring theme from the Lord to me the past six months: that in all I do -- even washing the dishes -- I can bring glory to Him. It's all about grace. His grace. What freedom we have in knowing that all God wants from us is for us to love Him first and foremost, and then to love others. When we understand this then everything we do becomes an act of praise and worship, and God is glorified. This is one of the things I love about God. He loves me whether I write a sonnet, or a honey do list. God bless you, Cathy. ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Nancy! Thank-you for your thoughtful comment. : )

      Delete
  14. Thanks for linking up at Thriving Thursday :) Sounds like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband is a serious C.S Lewis fan. In fact, a couple years ago, I bought him a C.S. Lewis Bible for Christmas. Has the usual Word and his comments fitted in by whoever put it together. Dave really likes it. AND happy for you, too. He truly touched hearts as he was dealing with his own life and its reality. Another one people truly want to meet in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lewis was such a wonderful communicator. I look forward to meeting him one day in heaven too. : )

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )