October 19, 2015

5 books on my future reading list

Happy, Happy, Happy

I'm not a huge fan of the Duck Dynasty show, it can be a bit silly at times, but I love this family.

We recently watched the episode of John Luke and Mary Kate's wedding and it was so beautiful, honoring God and family. We laughed and loved the families memories and thoughts on marriage leading up to the wedding.

Phil Robertson is the patriarch of this family and though he is not a perfect man, his love for God and family is evident, and I am looking forward to reading his story.

Amazon says here of the book:

"This no-holds-barred autobiography chronicles the remarkable life of Phil Robertson, the original Duck Commander and Duck Dynasty star, from early childhood through the founding of a family business.
Life was always getting in the way of Phil Robertson's passion for duck hunting.

An NFL-bound quarterback, Phil made his mark on Louisiana Tech University in the 1960s by playing football and completing his college career with a master's degree in English. But Phil's eyes were not always on the books or the ball; they were usually looking to the sky.

Phil grew up with the dream of living the simple life off the land like his forebears, but he soon found himself on a path to self-destruction, leasing a bar, drinking too much, fighting, and wasting his talents. He almost lost it all until he gave his life to God. And then everything changed. 

Phil's incredible story tells how he followed a calling from God and soon after invented a duck call that would begin an incredible journey to the life he had always dreamed of for himself and his family."




Kristin Lavransdatter

This was Elisabeth Elliot's favorite novel.

Ever since I found this out I've been wanting to read it. : )

Goodreads say of it here:

"In her great historical epic Kristin Lavransdatter, set in fourteenth-century Norway, Nobel laureate Sigrid Undset tells the life story of one passionate and headstrong woman. 

Painting a richly detailed backdrop, Undset immerses readers in the day-to-day life, social conventions, and political and religious undercurrents of the period. 

As a young girl, Kristin is deeply devoted to her father, a kind and courageous man. But when as a student in a convent school she meets the charming and impetuous Erlend Nikulaussøn, she defies her parents in pursuit of her own desires. 

Her saga continues through her marriage to Erlend, their tumultuous life together raising seven sons as Erlend seeks to strengthen his political influence, and finally their estrangement as the world around them tumbles into uncertainty."




Where Has Oprah Taken Us?  

I used to love watching Oprah. She was the girlfriend next door, she was generous and encouraged others to be generous too.

Then one day I just felt the Holy Spirit convicting me and steering me away.

I've since begun to understood that Oprah preaches a gospel of self, promotes secular spirituality, and using the name of Jesus to confuse her audience. (She had me confused about her faith too)

When I saw this biography on sale from Kindle I picked it up.

It sounds very interesting and may give a deeper sense of what Oprah believes and promotes and where her beliefs are taking many undiscerning people.


Amazon says of it here:

"New York Times best-selling author, Stephen Mansfield, traces the fascinating and influential life of Oprah Winfrey, profiling her quest for spiritual enlightenment. A well-publicized journey featuring a caravan of experts, mystics, and gurus, all claiming to have a prescription for inner peace and personal well-being. 

Mansfield shows how Oprah's story fits into our larger cultural experience and reveals why her spiritual discoveries have resonated so loudly in today's popular culture. In so doing, he sheds needed light on the dangers of a spiritual journey fueled solely by a desire for self-actualization."

*I have since started this book and didn't realize, until now, the extent of Oprah's involvement in the occult (ancestral  worship, meditation, channeling). I am overwhelmed and heart-broken at the damaging influence she has had on so many Christian woman. Please pray for her and those who listen to her.



Prayer

I often read books recommended by Tim Challies, who I trust to give me an honest and though review. He highly recommended this one and so I'm excited to start reading it.

Tim Challies says of the book here:

"Early in his book Keller critiques most books on prayer as being 'primarily theological or devotional or practical, but seldom do they combine the theological, experiential, and methodological all under one cover.' 

This is what he has attempted to do, and it is exactly what he has done, as displayed in the book’s five parts: Desiring Prayer, Understanding Prayer, Learning Prayer, Deepening Prayer, Doing Prayer. 

He has written a winsome, well-rounded book that leads through theory and into practice. It is one of the strongest books on prayer I have ever read and it receives my highest recommendation."

You can read Tim Challies full review HERE




Isaac Newton

I am really interested in reading about the life of Isaac Newton.

Science is such a huge part of the modern world today and though many have rejected God, The God Isaac Newton loved and worshiped, they can not depute Newton's genius in the history of Science.

Amazon says here:

"As an inventor, astronomer, physicist, and philosopher, Isaac Newton forever changed the way we see and understand the world. At one point, he was the world’s leading authority in mathematics, optics, and alchemy. 

And surprisingly he wrote more about faith and religion than on all of these subjects combined. But his single-minded focus on knowledge and discovery was a great detriment to his health. Newton suffered from fits of mania, insomnia, depression, a nervous breakdown, and even mercury poisoning. 

Yet from all of his suffering came great gain. Newton saw the scientific world not as a way to refute theology, but as a way to explain it. He believed that all of creation was mandated and set in motion by God and that it was simply waiting to be “discovered” by man. Because of his diligence in both scientific and biblical study, Newton had a tremendous impact on religious thought that is still evident today."


28 comments:

  1. Interesting choices. I haven't ever seen a Duck Dynasty episode, but my friend recently read their book and they enjoyed it. Oprah has had a huge impact on society I wonder what her book would be like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting Amanda! : )

      I'm almost finished the book on Oprah and I thought it was very well done. The author did thorough interviews with family, co-workers and many of the new age guests she has had on her show. So I felt it was an accurate betrayal of Oprah and what she believes. The first part is more of a biography and the second part goes more deeply into how she came to believe and promote what she does. It's an eye-opener and disturbing.

      Delete
  2. I hadn't seen the Oprah book. I don't follow her and didn't watch her show, but this book sounds interesting. She seems to have a little too much influence in our society. I'm currently reading Brave Enough by Nicole Unice. (Visiting from #RaRaLinkup)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of the book you are reading, will have to check it out. Thanks for sharing. : )

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad to read your post because you've made me add the books by Phil Robertson and Timothy Keller to my reading list. Thank you for sharing. (Visiting from Literacy Musing Mondays)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carole, hope you enjoy the books! Glad you stopped by. : )

      Delete
  4. That Timothy Keller book looks good! I may need to put that one on my HUGE list. So many books, so little time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just started it and it's good so far! Thanks for stopping by Lyli. : )

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed Happy, Happy, Happy. But, my favorite Duck Dynasty book was Si-cology by none other than Uncle Si.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've wondered about that one. Good to know you enjoyed it. I also noticed Missy Robertson has a new book out called 'Blessed, Blessed, Blessed.' I'm thinking of reading that one as well!

      Thanks for stopping by Leslie. : )

      Delete
  6. Interesting mix of books! Good for you! Thanks for sharing your list. I keep my eye on them. Blessings to you, neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love reading all sorts of books. : ) Thanks for stopping by Mari-Anna. Blessings to you too!

      Delete
  7. WOW! What a great list! I want to read every one! Thanks for linking up on Mondays @ Soul Survival. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to be a devoted Oprah watcher. God too opened my eyes to her false ideas of salvation. I fear she continues to use her platform to lead people astray. That book should be an interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Carrie. I just finished the book and it was very informative. There were a few chapters I skimmed through, where he talks about the beliefs of the guests Orpah has had on her show that have influenced her, Marianne Williamson, Eckhart Tolle, etc. I find it damaging to read to much of their false teachings. Overall it was an eye-opening book.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Wow - you read some deep stuff. lol - I personally believe that we need to be careful what we read and believe and ultimately rely on the holy spirits leading on our believes. Always take what you read and hear carefully - I never believe what others say 100% I mull it over and think about it and have found that while I may not be in agreement with all Christians that often what I believe will make someone stop and think about what they believe. I hope that makes sense - I'm pretty tired right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and sharing Tina! : )

      Delete
  10. All of these sound good! I'm really interested in the Oprah book as some of my Christian relatives think she is just it and have great arguments to defend her brand of spirituality but I've always felt uncomfortable with all the weird stuff she brings across as truth and all packaged so nicely in giving back and tolerance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susanne, glad you stopped by. I will keep your relatives in my prayers.

      The book may be helpful as it is goes into great detail of the beliefs Oprah has shared through the years. The author also uses a lot of quotes straight from Oprah, so you get a very good idea of what she promotes.

      Her beliefs, ideas and philosophies are not Biblical, nor from God, but rather very much of the world.

      Delete
  11. This is why I love Nightstands - I can catch up on the posts that have been languishing in my feed reader waiting for me to have time to comment! I'm so intrigued by Kristin Lavransdatter - just the thought of Elisabeth Elliot reading novels startles me (and then I have to wonder, why does that seem so strange to me?) I'll be eager to hear what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing! That's why I can't wait to read it, to see what Elisabeth loved about it. : )

      Glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  12. I have not watched one episode of Duck Dynasty and barely know who they are beyond the few tidbits I would hear on the side. Interestingly, I am very curious about the book.

    Kristin Lavransdatter sounds intriguing, a story that I would like. I'm going to put it on my list.

    I second with trusting Tim Challies thoughts on books. I have read several that he has recommended. Prayer is one on my list to read.

    I turned away from Oprah a loooong time again and do not intend to learn any more about her. It seems (from the comments) that you found the book credible, that is good.

    Nice list of books. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought Kristin Lavransdatter sounded intriguing too! It's a long one though, over 1000 pages. Hoping to have time to read it.

      The Oprah book is good for those who may want to explain Oprah to others who are following her or consider her a Christian, or those who aren't sure themselves. Otherwise I'd recommend passing it.

      Glad you stopped by! : )

      Delete
  13. You had me at "Elisabeth Elliot's favorite book." :)

    Thanks for sharing this at Booknificent Thursday!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! If she loved it, it must be good. : )

      Delete
  14. I thought I had already left a comment on this post. I love Kristin Lavransdottir (never can remember how to spell it). It is a commitment, however. If you get through the first book, you'll definitely want to finish to see what happens to Kristin in particular.
    If you like historical fiction, I wanted to tell you about the book that my pastor recently published, called We Never Stood Alone. It's only 99 cents for Kindle at Amazon right now, and worth every penny. I think you would enjoy it. Christian fiction, set during World War II, I found it to be a satisfying read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation Sherry, sounds like something I would enjoy. I'll look into it.

      Delete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )