July 1, 2017

6 Books I Still Think About - Part Two


A few years back I did a post on '6 books I still think about' and I thought it would be fun to do another one. There are so many books I've read in the past that have had an impact on me.

So here are 6 more books I still think about...


Night - This book is a memoir of a young Jewish boy who was taken from his small village to a concentration camp during WW2. I often think about this book and the extent of evil, human beings are capable of.

When I read books like this I'm reminded to pray...

"Do not let my heart be drawn to what is evil so that I take part in wicked deeds along with those who are evildoers; do not let me eat their delicacies." Psalm 141:4


We are all capable of evil. If we let it grow in our hearts. Many people have done horrific things throughout history, WW2 being no exception.

There were things in this book that I've never been able to shake off. Things I don't even want to talk about. One incident was so horrifying I just weep as I read it.

How could someone do the things some did?

It's the evil intent of the heart, when given into.

God help us. We need to look to You and call Your Name for help.

"Be pleased, O LORD, to deliver me;
O LORD, make haste to help me!" Psalm 40:13




A Place of Healing - "The more intense the pain, the closer His embrace." Joni Eareckson Tada

This was such a beautiful book. Joni is open and honest with her struggles and questions about her paralysis and chronic pain, but also encouraging in her strong faith, her devotion to the truth of Scripture and her dependence on God.


Some may say she hasn't been healed because she doesn't have enough faith.

I believe that is just plain ignorant.

God has not healed her physically, as of now, because He is shaping her and growing her and making her stronger in Him. He is teaching her to depend on Him completely and she is blessed to know Him in a deeper way then most of us.

She is such an encourager in Christ and I will always think on this book and the profound and Godly counsel she shared.

Here's one of many wonderful quotes from Joni, where she turns the focus from herself to the Lord:

"I can't be glum or sour or peevish, even if I am a little tired of paralysis, and even if I am weary of chronic pain. God's got me alive - I'm still here! - and that means there's a purpose for my life, a race to run, and a plan for my life. God has ordained this day for me to bring Him glory as best I can and to serve Him with joy."


Peace Like a River - How do I describe this book? It is a literal story of a father and his children, but also an allegory of the love of God for His. At first I thought this book was a bit strange, but when I finished, I realized what the author was doing and the message was beautiful and impactful.


I don't want to give to much away, but when I finished this book, I took a deep breath and I thanked Christ for what He did for me. I will think about this book for a long time to come.


When Christ Returns - This book moved me and I think about it often. When I picked it up I thought it was about the 'end times'. But what I found, was a book about the importance of being holy in knowing Christ, over just knowing about Him. Knowing the One who is returning, over knowing about His return.

We are called to be holy, without a desire to be holy, no amount of knowledge of Bible prophecy, end times theology or discernment will bring us closer to Him.

Spurgeon says here:

"It is far better to meditate on the Atonement than to be guessing at the meaning of 'a little horn' (Daniel 8:9). It is far better to know the Lord Jesus in His power to save than to devise an ingenious theory about 'the number of the beast' (Revelation 13:18). "


Is your heart ready for Christ's return? Is He your everything, your confidence?

Spurgeon says here:

"I cannot tell you to 'stand fast in the Lord' unless you are in Him. Hence, my first inquiry is, Are you in Christ? Is He your only confidence? In His life, His death, and His resurrection do you find the grounds of your hope? Is He Himself all your salvation and all your desire? If so, 'stand fast in the Lord."

That's what this book is about.

Is your heart ready for the return of Christ?

"And may the Lord make you increase and abound in love to one another and to all, just as we do to you, so that He may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all His saints." 1 Thessalonians 3:12-13


Anne of Green Gables - This book was joyful. I loved it so much! L.M. Montgomery's writing was so beautiful and descriptive. I felt like I was on Prince Edward Island watching the cherry blooms fall from the trees or listening to the river flow.

I also loved Anne's character. I really loved the scene where she prays for the first time. So sweet!

I listened to this book on audio and it was an experience! One I'd enjoy listening to again.


If you've forgotten the beauty of nature and the gift it is from our Creator, and you need a reminder, read this book!

Then go outside, lay on the grass, look at the stars, run your fingers through a stream or smell a fragrant flower.

It reminded me that God is good and that the evidence is all around us.

And if you need a reminder of the beauty of relationships and how kindness changes so much in a persons life. Read this book!

Then go out and be kind to all you meet.


If: What do I know of Calvary Love - This is a very profound little book. I've talked about it often on my blog, as well as shared many parts of it.


It's a little book of poetic verses.

Each verse starts with 'if...' and ends with '...then I know nothing of Calvary love'.

Though each verse shines light on the sinfulness of the human heart, it also reveals the power of God's love.

He is Calvary love.

Here are a few examples:


If...I can enjoy a joke at the expense of another;
if I can in any way slight another in conversation,
or even in thought,
then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If...I have not compassion on my
fellow-servant,
even as my Lord had pity on me,
then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If...I want to be known as the doer of
something that has proved the
right thing,
or as the one who suggested that it
should be done,
then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If...I covet any place on earth but the
dust at the foot of the cross,
then I know nothing of Calvary love.


We don't come to God when we are ready to love Him, but He comes to us first in our pain, our messiness and our sin and shame.

And we love Him because of it.

"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19

I love this quote near the end of the book...

"There is no need to plead that the love of God shall fill our hearts as though He were unwilling to fill us: He is willing as light is willing to flood a room that is opened to its brightness; willing as water is willing to flow into an emptied channel. Love is pressing around us on all sides like air. Cease to resist, and instantly love takes possession."

God is love and He calls us to repentance so we can know Him.

"And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him." 1 John 4:16



*Note: If you'd like to check out my other post on '6 books I still think about' ...click HERE



26 comments:

  1. Lots to think about here. I wish I hadn't read even the review of the first one, though...you understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand. Books like 'Night' are hard to read, and this one really stuck with me. Books about the Holocaust are never easy to comprehend, but I think it's so important for us to never forget their stories. Stories we can learn from.

      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment Sandi!

      Delete
  2. What a good idea for a post! I have not read that book of Joni's, but I think I do have it on my Kindle app. I always enjoy her writing. I have not read Wiesel yet and should. I read that book by Enger several years ago and remember it made an impression for a long time. Love Anne of Green Gables! And I pondered over the pages of If quite a lot in college - so convicting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joni's book is a must read. So encouraging! Hope you enjoy it!

      Thanks for stopping by Barbara. : )

      Delete
  3. Love IF and Loved Peace Like a River - will try Joni's - she's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doesn't everyone still think about Anne of Green Gables, loo :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first time I've read it and I loved it! Glad you loved it too. : ) Thanks for stopping by Aileen!

      Delete
  5. Always love hearing about new titles. Some of these are familiar, others not. Great reviews! Will be adding these to my read list! Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks June! Hope you enjoy whatever you read. : )

      Delete
  6. Believe it or not, I have never read any of these books - and I love reading!!! I'm going to have to beef up my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to give you some new reading ideas! Thanks for stopping by Heather!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing these memorable books. I've never ready Anne of Green Gables, but it is on my list of books I must read. I have the book If on my Kindle, but haven't read it yet.

    Your list has inspired and spurred me on to get to reading. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely have to read Anne of Green Gables! You'll love it.

      Happy Reading. : )

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the recommendations. I read Night, maybe twenty years ago, and yes it was a powerful book that stays with you. Love Ann of Green Gables. Read the whole series aloud to my daughter. The rest, I am interested in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the Anne series. Glad you found some new books here.

      Thanks for stopping by Theresa!

      Delete
  9. I am going to add this to my Pinterest board for future reference. They sound fantastic. Thank you for sharing. Maree

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not seeing the share button????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I'm not sure why the share button isn't showing up. Maybe you can copy and paste to Pinterest?

      Delete
  11. I'm always looking for good suggestions of books that'll impact me. Thanks! I have Night on my list of books to read, and have read Anne of Green Gables (loved it). The others I'll look for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found some new books here. Thanks for stopping by Tammie!

      Delete
  12. This is a great list! I've never seen the cover you found for Anne of Green Gables - it's lovely! Thanks for linking up at Booknificent Thursday on Mommynificent.com!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a cover from a publisher here in Canada. I think it's lovely too! : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooooh. Now I want to read all of these. Of course, I have read Anne, but none of the others. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy them! Thanks for stopping by April. : )

      Delete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )